Tuesday, June 18, 2013

WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT SAN ANTONIO 8K, SEPTEMBER 21, 2013

Can't wait for this event again!  Last year it was amazing.  It was POURING down rain the entire race, but it didn't dampen the spirits of the participants and volunteers.  I was honored to volunteer and help direct race traffic when I bumped into Chris, a vet with a single leg amputation.  He was 23 years young last year as he finished the race along with his mother, and we all crossed the finished line together, in what was victorious moment for both of them.

Here's a bit from what I wrote about him last year:
"So I went over to the last water station and waited.  The race had pretty much dissolved by this time.  The weather, was for the most part, pretty nasty and it was impossible to stay dry anywhere.  So, when this trio passed me by for the last time, I asked if I could finish the race with them. I didn’t know what to expect.  I didn’t want to come across sympathetic, rather inspired.  I introduced myself, and found out the trio was mom, Suzi, younger son in stroller, and grown son, Chris, who was injured in Afghanistan.  Along the route, I stopped and gave Chris a hug.  It’s my instinct, when I am standing next to a brave man or woman that has bravely served our country.  Chris is 23, and may enroll at the University of Texas after he is discharged from the Army.  His mother is still serving, as an active Texas Guard member of the U.S. Army.  We chatted all the way to the finish, and as Chris and Suzi crossed the line, I could feel the pride of a mother toward her son, and I am pretty sure Chris was just as pleased to finish an 8k course, hiding any pain he may have been in from a drenched prosthetic attached to his right leg.  However, the most inspiring thing for me on this day was not focusing on a soldier with an obvious injury, rather the guts and strength Chris has to continue to live a full life."

 If you are in Central Texas, please sign up to run this event, and help support our wounded veterans.  It's a great time for all ages and speed.

Check out the link below:
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/wwp-8k-runs/san-antonio.aspx

Thanks for Supporting our Troops!


No comments:

Post a Comment